Sushi Bar SUSHIYA

K and I are always on the hunt for authentic sushi in Toronto.
We've visited many sushi restaurants over the years and have come to the conclusion that if you want authentic, fresh sushi in Toronto, be prepared to spend a lot!

We visited Sushi Bar SUSHIYA, one of the many restaurants owned under Zakkushi Group.

K and I ordered 2 pints of Sapporo. Every time I drink Sapporo, I'm reminded of when K and I went back to Japan. Such good memories!

SUSHIYA is very quaint. The picture above is actually the whole restaurant. The place is better for small, intimate groups rather than larger ones.

To start, we ordered Tako Wasabi, one of K's favourites. It is a mixture of octopus ceviche and wasabi. You can eat it as is, or wrap it in the seaweed provided. We also received 2 small bowls of pickled vegetables on the house.

We decided to order everything a la carte, so that we were able to try everything we wanted. K and I generally like to order nigiri when we eat sushi. None of that roll business.

Starting from the top, we had Yellow Tail (Hamachi), Fluke (Hirame), Jack Mackerel (Saba), Giant Clam (Mirugai), and raw Shrimp (Ebi), which came with grilled shrimp heads. It was delicious and fun to eat!

Our second order consisted of Blue Fin Belly Tuna (Otoro, aka fatty tuna), Salmon Roe (Ikura), Sea Urchin (Uni) and 2 different kinds of eel: BBQ and Sea (Unagi).

If you've never had Otoro before, you are missing out! This was pretty expensive ($6.50 per piece) but so worth it. The tuna melts in your mouth instantly and the green onions add a clean aromatic taste.

The raw Shrimp was so delicious that we decided to order another round of that. K wanted to try the Big Eye Tuna (Maguro), and we each had the Red Snapper (Tai).

Lastly, we ordered Scallops (Hotate) and since K loves Ikura, we ordered it again. I decided to try one and it's actually pretty delicious. I'm usually not a fan of raw scallops, but it was really fresh and there was no fishy aftertaste at all!

Sushi Bar SUSHIYA is hidden under the steps of Zakkushi. I would recommend this place to couples or to friends who enjoy laid-back dinners.

I would like to visit again occasionally. 
Sayonara~

xox,
Ly


--
Sushi Bar SUSHIYA
193 Carlton Street, Toronto, ON M5A 2K7

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram feed

About

I can be found wandering around the GTA.

Food is a universal language that brings people together and is fuel for the body and soul. Food, to me, is comforting, exciting and my favourite part of every day.

If you can't decide where or what you would like to eat, I hope that my blog will give you some ideas and make you salivate!